After spending over a year trying to avoid economy bangers and ridiculous egg situations on my search for the ultimate fry up I am still hungry for more. Having eaten breakfast it is now time for lunch, Sunday roast to be precise. Join me as I try out different roast dinners, I will be trying everything from civilised restaurant's to rowdy pubs and supermarket cafe's to stack it high carverys. It's a difficult job but someone has to do it so join me on my search for roast dinner perfection!

Saturday 17 September 2011

The Whiffler (Wetherspoons) - Norwich

Boundary Road
Norwich
Norfolk
NR6 5JB



Wanna eat roast dinner everyday?



Typical Wetherspoons interior.



Plenty of condiments and sauces are available in satchets.



Great presentation and extra gravy but...



Upon closer inspection I soon realised it was all a bit overcooked and dry.



Nearly 2 months after setting up this page I can finally update it, I thought updates would be more regular but I have been focusing more on fry ups. Anyway, I didn't think there would be much chance of a roast on a Saturday as parked up in The Whiffler car park but to my surprise they were offering a "roast of the day" so in I went..

Upon entering - The Whiffler is like most Wetherspoon establishments, always busy due to cheap prices with plenty of places to sit. Each table has a mass of menu's covering food, breakfast, wine and drinks. Find yourself a table, decide what you want, remember your table number and order at the bar. Remember sauces which can be found in baskets on a table by the bar and the cutlery will arrive with your food. 6/10

Service - The person taking my order and chap bringing the food over where both friendly and efficient. 7/10

Type of roast - Ready served.

Meat available - Chicken or beef.

Contents - Half a roast chicken, 5 roast potatoes, 1 yorkshire pudding, carrots, broccoli & gravy. 6/10

Vegetable portions - Served on the plate so no worries about the dreaded shared plate scenario of not getting your fair share or 2 of you getting the same size portion as the individual sitting opposite. 5 potatoes seemed like a fair amount but just carrots and broccoli seemed a bit minimal to me. 5/10

Presentation - The high point of this roast dinner was how it looked when it arrived. 8/10

The food - The roast chicken tasted ok but was way too dry, the potatoes were not roasted but deep fried and tasted quite nice. The yorkshire pudding was also over cooked and very difficult to cut causing a small earthquake on the plate when the knife finally made it through. Both the carrots and broccoli had sat too long and become rubbery. 4/10

Gravy & sauces - The gravy was quite nice and served separately in a boat. Sauces to go with all the meats on offer where available in satchets. 7/10

Veggie option - Portobello mushroom, chickpea and pumpkin seed roast with potatoes and veg for £6.10.

Value for money - £6.10 is a good price for a nice roast but not when it is all overcooked so.. 4/10

Overall - I have been to Sunday Club at Wetherspoons on a number of occasions and have had some decent roast dinners but on this occasion although it looked good when it arrived it turned out to be a bit of an overcooked let down. 5/10


1 comment:

  1. Must say, this looks ALOT better than the roast i had in weatherspoons once. I can also guarantee that the meal i had would have been a ready meal. It was disastrous.

    ReplyDelete